Utah Sex Offense Attorney
There are few crimes in Utah more despised than sex offenses, and dealing with these issues can be very emotional and confusing. That's all the more reason to get counsel from a sex crime lawyer as soon as possible.
Based out of Salt Lake City, Attorney Abby Dizon-Maughan may be able to help. Our legal team has worked on cases ranging from federal crimes to state crimes in both local justice courts and district courts. We are focused on protecting the rights of the accused and ensuring that the courts see defendants as people who are innocent until proven guilty rather than simply labeling them as criminals.
Dizon-Maughan has been honored with the NAACP's President's Award and has chaired the NAACP's criminal justice committee in Utah and has worked with local associations and police.
Sex Offense Law in Salt Lake City
Sex Offenses in Utah range from public lewdness to stalking, voyeurism, prostitution, crimes related to child pornography and rape, among others. Often, people can be charged with these offenses based solely on the testimony of victims or witnesses.
Depending on the seriousness of the crime, charges and potential penalties escalate. At the lowest levels, these can include:
- • Class C misdemeanors for things like enticing minors online
- • Class B misdemeanors for acts such as prostitution and lewdness
- • Class A misdemeanors for crimes such as sexual abuse of a minor and sexual battery
For other sex offenses, felony charges are possible. These are some of the offenses we commonly see:
- • Third degree felonies include incest, pornography distribution and failure to register as a sex offender.
- • Second degree felonies include forcible sexual abuse, sexual abuse of a child, sale of child pornography and aggravated exploitation of a prostitute.
- • First degree felonies, the most serious, include rape, rape of a child, aggravated sexual assault, child kidnapping and more.
Additional Consequences for Sex Crime Suspects
Criminal charges and sentencing are only one way sex offenses in Utah can wreak havoc on your life. In addition, you could face lifelong struggles in your career, restrictions in where you can live and turmoil in your personal relationships. If you are convicted, all of this could be exacerbated by sex offender registry requirements, meaning your name, photo, address and offenses will be publicly available online.
Get the Advocacy You Deserve
If you are a suspect in a sex crime, or have been arrested or charged in relation to sex offenses, contact a Salt Lake City sex crime lawyer right away. Our sex offense attorney is well-respected in the legal community and is committed to working for the best outcome for each client. Call us today at (385) 202-0145 or contact us online any time.